Installing some shelves on your wall will give you tons of storage opportunities while taking up space that would’ve otherwise gone unused. A closet isn’t supposed to be an office, so just because something isn’t supposed to be a desk doesn’t mean you can’t turn it into one. Regardless, get rid of everything you don’t need and find new places for items you have to keep. Clothing, for example, does well in a chest of drawers or even on bookshelves .
You have to move paper and pens at dinner time, and constantly haul out and put away books and folders. With a cloffice, you can keep everything you need in one place and leave it there when you’re done. Simply close the door behind you at the end of the day and hide the whole thing…without disrupting your work space.
Put some drawers under the desk
Basically, anything that you want to hide needs to go in first. Anything you’ll be interacting with regularly because it’s right in front of you should go in later. It’s hard to change things in small spaces, so do your best to get everything in correctly the first time. An even cheaper option is simple to mount a shelf in the closet. With a few shelving brackets (that’ll likely come with any shelf you buy). This is more than enough to hold up a laptop or monitor and a few other items.
- But if you do have both walk-in closets and additional closets (the dream, right?), and you don’t have an office, it could be a value-add to convert your space.
- Screw 1×2 cleats to the back, side and front walls to support the top .
- These are bright lights and buying a couple of them should considerably cheer up the space.
- Transfer these measurements to your plywood and cut out the two pieces.
- A 36-inch sliding barn door, installed, will set you back an average of $1,200.
Make sure your closet is deep enough to handle this task. Lots of closets are only slightly deeper than the width of a hanger. Take your binders, printer and scanner and place them on the closet floor and shut the door to make sure the shelves you install will accommodate them. Also, figure out if your space is large enough to accommodate file cabinets; if so, make sure you install the desktop high enough so that you can slide them underneath.
Clever Hallway Storage Ideas To Make Life Easier
She is currently pursuing an interior design certificate from the New York Institute of Art + Design. A 36-inch sliding barn door, installed, will set you back an average of $1,200. Decoist is a web magazine that brings you the daily bits of architecture, furniture and interior design. Get the latest This Old House news, trusted tips, tricks, and DIY Smarts projects from our experts–straight to your inbox. 11 Types of Hinges You Should Know Read this DIY guide to hinges, their design, style, and purpose. I would also recommend filling all of the brad nail holes with caulk or spackling and sanding them down. They are tiny, but still visible after painting if not filled in.
- The advantages of this solution are uncluttered, floating monitor look, flexible viewing angle and ease of installation — just make sure your monitors are VESA-compatible .
- This will be used to keep clean lines between the different paint colors and protect the floor and any trim that will not be painted.
- If a full desk won’t fit in your cloffice, try mounting a piece of plywood, medium-density fiberboard , or butcher block to the wall with brackets to create a DIY floating desk.
- This particular setup leaves plenty of room for storage, and a single shelf at hip height makes for the perfect computer desk and work space.
- Decoist is a web magazine that brings you the daily bits of architecture, furniture and interior design.
- And they are willing to share their tips so you can add a closed office in your home.
Don’t settle on a single method when getting streamlining your space. It only costs $49, comes with a drawer, and has a hole for cables. It’s narrow enough for most closets, so long as you have a reasonable amount of depth to fit it. Just because your office is in a closet doesn’t mean you have to skimp on stylish touches like sconces, shiplap, and an area rug. In fact, blogger Ashley Smith was able to incorporate all three of these elements and tucked away a filing cabinet, because #practicality. One more thing you should consider when picking out your lattice moulding is thickness. Our baseboards are .25″ thick, so we wanted to be consistent by choosing moulding with the same depth.
Working From Home? Turn Your Walk-In Closet Into An Office
The materials we’ll include below are for a typical standard-sized 7 x 2 feet deep closet that will be turned into an office space. Feel free to go ahead and adjust your dimensions accordingly as you see fit.
- New York City teacher Tyler Moore, for one, turned his 53×37-inch bedroom closet into a remote cloffice using a work-from-home stipend .
- One person can work at the kitchen table, another can work in a permanent office and another can work at the closet office.
- Even the oddest closet corner may hold more potential than you think.
- And lastly, don’t forget to include yourself in the equation.
- If you really need the separation, add curtains or a sliding barn door to separate and define your office space.
- Wall pots for plants make really good pen holders.
A standard walk-in closet for two people typically measures 70–100 square feet, big enough to serve as a closet and workspace—or a multi-purpose cloffice. Many fashion bloggers and creatives add custom storage units and rolling racks from retailers like The Container Store, so their clothes and workstation can co-exist. When designing a tiny reach-in, consider installing a floating desk (a space-saving, wall-mounted desk with converting a closet to an office drop-down work surface) and lots of wall shelving. Colorful storage bins or a small filing cabinet can be placed under the desk to maximize space. New York City teacher Tyler Moore, for one, turned his 53×37-inch bedroom closet into a remote cloffice using a work-from-home stipend . It holds a folding desk, swivel office chair, and turntable storage center. “I stayed under my $250 budget,” Moore explains on his blog Tidy Dad.
Workspace Tours. Every Sunday
Since 2018, she has contributed to a variety of lifestyle publications, including Apartment Therapy and Architectural Digest. Set your to-do lists in sight with a small, movable magnetic or dry-erase board. To make a one-of-a-kind version, prime and coat a piece of wood with blackboard paint. If you plan on having a lot of cords, I would advise using a hole saw drill bit to cut a small, circular hole in one of the top corners.